1/18/09

The spaces in between...

Stars.

The darkness doesn't blink or waver or take time to tell you it's there like light does. The darkness gives the stars places to drift in and through. The dark is forgotten and taken for granted by many a stargazer. Everyone clings to the light that bends and creates illusions and distorts and causes glare or can't get around objects so it creates twilight. Light shows you the flaws in reality while making it acceptable so that beauty can be found, that is if it is still common practice to say and act as though beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've beheld beauty, and it is dark and in between the twinkling specs of dust on the ceiling of my perception.

Lines.

Just as deep as the darkness enrapturing stars, the off-white of notebook pages give words a place to shine. I love writing. To me, putting words together on a piece of paper or the white body of a blog just satisfies me. It feels as though I'm mantling the poetic residue of a pen's barrel to the tip of my imagination and painting upon the vast emptiness I've so much come to appreciate. The silence and serenity of the white and the off-white and blue lines calms me in a savory way that I won't always write often. I wish I did. But I wish I found the right words a lot of the time to actually give my respect to the white and off-white of paper. I've so many notebooks with so many white pages, it's like I keep them to cherish the fullness of how empty they are as though the pages themselves somehow keep all that I want to write and really care about while waiting for me to realize my ability to do so and finally do it. And even to that, I have to be grateful for.

Silence.

The perfect silences... sitting across from someone you hardly know or know very well... the silences aren't golden but they are the greatest thing about conversation. It's like you can hear yourself and can tell yourself it's going well or that it isn't. It makes me want to point the silences out. Just stop the silence between questions and comments about whatever and say, "hey, this silence right here..................................... This is great." It feels like a pause in memory. It feels like something you've waited for after saying something you probably wouldn't have ever imagined yourself to be talking about till now. Silence fits everywhere and I like noticing it. The silence between words when a person speaks as you pass by or as someone announces something. That very evanescent and brisk silence keeps time with the rhythm of syntax a person uses which as to the gratification of being able to notice silence. Wow. To just be able to understand that I'm the kind of person that doesn't exactly need noise to survive, or that I'm very capable of surviving silence and calm and feeling alone. Mmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment